Top 12 Superfoods: Best foods for the body and the brain
Who doesn’t want to get more intelligent? Who wants to look super healthy? Many recent studies have shown how specific nutrients have positive effects on the brain especially in those areas of the brain related to cognitive processing or feelings and emotions. When I was writing my Book Super Body, Super Brain I was researching extensively how food nutrients play an incredible factor in our brain and body health.
According to the main research about brain foods and health. According to Nature Science review study conducted by Gomez Pinilla,UCLA ” It has long been suspected that the relative abundance of specific nutrients can affect cognitive processes and emotions. Newly described influences of dietary factors on neuronal function and synaptic plasticity have revealed some of the vital mechanisms that are responsible for the action of diet on brain health and mental function. “Neurobiologist Gomez Pinilla,UCLA”
According to one study, the super fats your brain needs most are Omega 3 fatty acids. Your brain converts them into DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) which enhances neuronal communication and promotes neuronal growth.
Essential foods that you should eat at three or four times a week
1. Apples: Eating one apple a day protects the brain from oxidative damage that causes neurodegenerative diseases such Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. This magical nutrient that act as protection is quercetin, which is a phytonutrient.
2. Asparagus: Asparagus is rich in folic acid, which is essential for the metabolism of the long chain fatty acids in your brain.
3. Lean Beef: Lean beef is rich in vitamin B12, iron and zinc. These vitamins and minerals have been shown to maintain a healthy neural tissue.
4. Blueberries and strawberries: Studies show that people that eat berries improve their memory and their motor skills. In addition, their antioxidant properties can protect your brain from the oxidative process.
5. Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate has incredible concentration powers. It is a very powerful antioxidant containing natural stimulants increasing the production of feel good endorphins. Trick: you need to find dark chocolate with less than 10 grams of sugar per serving for optimal benefits.
6. Salmon: Salmon contains Omega 3 fatty acids that studies have shown to be essential for brain function.
7. Dried oregano: Certain spices have powerful antioxidant properties. In several studies, this powerful spice has shown to have 40 times more antioxidant properties than apples, 30 times more than potatoes, 12 times more than oranges and 4 times more than blueberries or strawberries.
8. Walnuts: Walnuts are rich in protein and contain Omega 3-fatty acids, vitamin E and vitamin B6 which all promote healthy neural tissue.
9.Whole grains: Whole grains deliver fiber and vitamin E that help promote cardiovascular health helping improve the circulation to the brain.
10.Yogurt: Yogurt and other dairy foods are filled with protein and vitamin B that are essential to improve the communication between nerve cells.
Make sure that from now on you select and plan a great menu of brain foods in your diet. Life is about choices and selecting the right nutrients can play a key role in your health.
For more information you can read more my articles published at